Prawn and Bacon Risotto
So I’m a student and my meals tend to really be based on whatever I have in the fridge or freezer. So bacon and prawns might not sound like the perfect match but actually, they are pretty damn tasty.
This isn’t a quick recipe, it takes about half an hour minimum, but it is a super easy recipe if you have the time to stand with it and be attentive.
What you need:
- Peeled, cooked prawns
- Arborio (risotto) rice
- Handful of spring onions
- Stock cube
- Half an onion
- 1 rasher of bacon
- Dry white wine
What you need to do:
1) Chop your half onion and spring onions and begin to fry in a wok in olive oil
2) Whilst the onions are frying, cut your stock cube in half an add around 225ml of water
3) Stir the onions, they should start to brown and add the bacon
4) Poor the rice (half a cup is about enough for one person) into the pan with the onion and bacon and stir so the rice becomes coated with the oil and juices
5) Poor in around 30ml of white wine and stir until the rice absorbs the liquid
6) Now it’s time to add the stock. Add this a ladle at a time, letting the rice absorb each ladle full. Remember to stir constantly, rice sticks very quickly and burns so you need to be watching all the time!
7) Once all the stock had been added continue to stir. The best way to test your rice is to try it – it should be soft but not like soup, you want it to have a little bit of bite to it
8) Once you feel the rice is cooked, add your prawns and stir for 3 minutes or so. The prawns are already cooked so essentially your just making sure you heat them all the way through
9) If you fancy it, sprinkle a little grated cheese on top and enjoy!
Let me know how this recipe goes for you, it is a great one to do if you don’t cook very often but fancy doing something a little more challenging, I guarantee you will impress yourself!